Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crocheting & Knitting


Crocheting~
I've been knitting and crocheting since I was a child. My aunt taught me how to crochet, but she could only remember the single stitch. My grandmother crocheted fine, detailed Irish lace. I have a few of her cherished keepsake doilies. And two crochet hooks. One looks like it is either made from bone or ivory. The other one is a larger wooden hook that my father made for her.
I also have her brass sewing thimble, which believe it or not just fits my finger.


I've lost count of how many crocheted blankets and Afghans I have made for my family and friends as gifts over the years. But they lacked a lot of detailed workmanship, due to my lack of crochet knowledge, for the single stitch was all I knew at that time.

One of my favorite new finds is the Tunisian crochet knit stitch. Or formal known as the Afghan stitch. I love it! I've designed and crocheted a few really cute hats using this method. It is a very quick method to use. There are several different patterns you can use from this method as well. Tunisian has the look and feel of knit but is created with a crochet hook. The look is what I call a "waffle weave" effect. I found it one day while viewing tutorials on YouTube. The Art of Crochet with Teresa. Teresa is a very good teacher!
Here below are a few helpful links for crocheting.
Tunisian Crochet Knit Stitch Method
Crocheting for Beginners
Learn To Crochet
How to Crochet for Beginners
Crochet Guild of America-CGOA
Free Crochet Patterns




Knitting~

A Brownie leader taught me to knit when I was a young child. Again, nothing fancy. Just the bare basics of knitting. I only knew just the simple garter stitch of the knitting realm.

I began knitting again about three years ago. My husband spends a lot of his extra time on the computer, so I was looking for another outlet while watching movies or t.v. series at night. The knitting forum fit and...I was hooked. (no pun intended.) : )


It's become a passion or rather addiction of mine.Hey, it's fat-free so why not!
If I'm not knitting everyday then I'm thinking, "Oh what can I make next?" I'm also thinking about what I can design and make next when I'm still working on a present piece. I'll also go into to my Photoshop program and paint up a new idea. This I found is good for me, so I do not forget a new idea that I'd like to make later on.

I'm very computer savvy, or at least I'd like to think that I am. I have a background in computer graphics and website development. I began to research online and found many good, free patterns. There are also great free tutorials online at YouTube you can watch. I find it is much easier for me to actually see a new stitch or pattern than reading one. Or you can get free books from your local library to help you.

I also read a wonderful article about the Peruvian knitters and Native American's that crocheted and knitted. The one interesting article I enjoyed was reading about the spirit escaping through a worked piece. They believed there should be one "mistake" per piece worked and finished, in order for the spirit of each piece to leave. I just found that very interesting. In fact, I loved the thought of each piece having a spirit. What a wonderful way of thinking about your pieces. So, if I person finds an error in their vintage or antique piece it in fact may not be a mistake at all, but rather the exit of the spirit in that particular piece.

On the humorous side, if one makes a mistake and does not catch it in time, one could always make up the excuse "it t'was the spirit leaving" and not a mistake.
A really nice thought. About each piece having their own spirit.

Here below are a few helpful links for knitting.
Knitting For Dummies Knitting Help -Learn How To Knit With Free Knitting Videos
Knitting Abbreviations
Knitting Instructions - Tutorials
Free Knitting Patterns

**********************************************************















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home